Instructions: Solve the following word problems using fractions. Show all your work and simplify answers where necessary.
- A pizza has 8 slices. If you eat 3 slices, what fraction of the pizza have you eaten?
- John has 12 marbles and he gives 1/3 of them to his friend. How many marbles did John give to his friend?
- A cake recipe calls for 3/4 cup of sugar. If you want to make half the recipe, how much sugar do you need?
- Sally has a rope that is 5/6 meters long. She wants to cut it into pieces that are 1/12 meters long. How many pieces can she get?
- A rectangular field is 2/3 km wide and 5/8 km long. What is the area of the field in square kilometers?
- A car uses 3/8 of a liter of gas to travel 10 km. How much gas will it use to travel 40 km?
- A recipe calls for 2/3 cup of flour to make 12 cookies. How much flour is needed to make 36 cookies?
- If a student answers 3/4 of the questions correctly on a 20 question test, how many questions did the student answer correctly?
- A bus travels 2/3 of its total distance and then stops for a break. If the total distance is 180 km, how far has the bus traveled before the break?
- A bag of candy contains 2/3 chocolate bars and 1/4 gummy bears. What fraction of the bag is not chocolate bars or gummy bears?
- If a recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of sugar and you want to make 1/2 of the recipe, how much sugar do you need?
- A pizza has 12 slices. If you eat 5 slices, what fraction of the pizza have you eaten?
- A recipe calls for 2/3 cup of milk to make 8 pancakes. How much milk is needed to make 24 pancakes?
- A rectangular pool is 1/2 meter wide and 3/4 meter long. What is the area of the pool in square meters?
- A recipe calls for 3/4 cup of sugar to make 24 cookies. How much sugar is needed to make 48 cookies?
- John has 1/4 of a pizza left. If he eats 1/8 of the remaining pizza, what fraction of the original pizza has he eaten?
- A recipe calls for 1/2 cup of flour to make 6 muffins. How much flour is needed to make 18 muffins?
- A rope is 2/3 meters long. If you cut it into pieces that are 1/6 meters long, how many pieces can you get?
- A tank is 3/4 full of water. If the tank can hold 200 liters of water, how much water is in the tank?
- If John can eat 3/8 of a pizza in one sitting, how many sittings will it take him to eat a whole pizza?
End of Worksheet