Adding Mixed Numbers with Like Denominators Worksheet
Part 1: True or False
- is the same as adding fractions with like denominators. (T/F)
- When adding mixed numbers with like denominators, we only need to add the whole numbers together and keep the fractions the same. (T/F)
- To add mixed numbers with like denominators, we first need to convert them to improper fractions. (T/F)
- When adding mixed numbers with like denominators, the denominator of the sum will be the same as the denominators of the mixed numbers being added. (T/F)
Part 2: Fill in the Blanks
- To add mixed numbers with like denominators, we add the of the mixed numbers and then add the of the fractions.
- In order to add mixed numbers with unlike denominators, we need to find a ___ denominator.
- When adding mixed numbers with like denominators, the denominator of the sum will be the same as the ___ of the mixed numbers being added.
- To convert a mixed number to an improper fraction, we ___ the whole number by the denominator and then add the numerator.
Part 3: Calculation
Show your work for the following problems.
- 2 1/4 + 3 3/4 =
- 1 2/3 + 2 1/3 =
- 4 5/6 + 2 1/6 =
- 5 3/8 + 2 5/8 =
- 3 7/9 + 1 2/9 =
Part 4: Word Problems
- A pizza restaurant sold 2 1/2 pizzas on Monday and 4 3/4 pizzas on Tuesday. How many pizzas were sold in total?
- A runner ran 1 1/2 miles on Monday and 2 3/4 miles on Tuesday. How many miles did the runner run in total?
- A recipe calls for 2 1/4 cups of flour and 3/4 cups of sugar. How many cups of ingredients are needed in total?
- A student read 1 2/3 chapters of a book on Monday and 2 1/3 chapters on Tuesday. How many chapters did the student read in total?
- A store sold 3 5/8 pounds of apples on Monday and 2 2/8 pounds of apples on Tuesday. How many pounds of apples were sold in total?
Part 5: Challenge
- 7 1/3 + 4 5/9 =
- 10 7/8 + 6 1/4 =
- 12 2/5 + 8 1/5 =
- 15 4/7 + 3 6/7 =
- 9 3/11 + 6 2/11 =
End of Worksheet